Matthew Rosewarne on 10 Feb 2007 06:50:05 -0000

[PLUG] KDE Resources

Here are some resources for those wanting to find out more about what I
skimmed over in my presentation on Wednesday

Apologies if the HTML is funky, I tried to clean up OOo's exported mess, but
my HTML skills are largely nonexistant.
Title: KDE Resources

KDE Resources

Getting Started

Further Information

Who is KDE?

KDE Talk

The developers are friendly, but very busy

KDE is a worldwide project, keep timezones in mind

KDE 4

  • aKademy 2006
  • Videos & slides from the annual KDE conference

    Lots of info on KDE's future

Development Tools & Projects

Trolltech's Qt4

The next major release of the Q toolkit

The foundation of KDE

Kitware's CMake

The build system replacing GNU autotools

FreeDesktop.org Technologies

ThreadWeaver

The new threading convenience library

Quality Analysis

Data-mining tools to find flaws & help developers

Summer of Code

Desktop Frameworks & Projects

Tenor

Context-aware search framework

Oxygen

The new set of artwork for KDE4

Includes icons, widget style, window decorations, sounds, etc.

  • Website
  • Somewhat outdated

  • Subversion Repository
  • Working copy of icon theme in theme/

    Script to generate KDE3 icon theme in utils/

    Working branch, subject to change

Plasma

Radical reworking of desktop concepts

KWin Composite Support

XRender & AIGLX 3D window manager

NX

X11-based remote desktop protocol

Much faster & more secure than X11 or VNC/RDP

Web Services

Solid

Platform-independent hardware API

Uses HAL & NetworkManager on Linux

Phonon

Platform-independent Multimedia API

Sends audio directly to pluggable audio backends

Backends include Xine, GStreamer, NMM

Akonadi

Personal Information Data Service

Kross

Language-independent application-scripting framework

LiveUI

Dynamic UI generation & layout at runtime

Replacement for XMLGUI

Sonnet

Linguistic framework based on FreeDesktop.org's Enchant & Elixir

Replacement for KSpell

Decibel

Real-time communications framework

IM, VOIP, Telephone, etc.

Marble

Widget for showing geographical info

KIO Improvements

See KDE://radio interview with Allan Sandfeld about new seeking in KIO

Usability

Apps

Konqueror

Okular

The new universal document viewer

WorKflow

The new graphical task automation tool

KOffice

KDevelop

Getting Involved

KDE is a great place to start contributing to Free Software

Put your work on your resumà to give a concrete example of your abilities

No clue where to start? Send an email to howtohelp@kde.org

Quality Team

A good entry point into helping KDE

No matter what you can or cannot do, they can show you how to help

Documentation

Documentation is possibly the best way to contribute for newcomers

Translation & Localisation

Speak another language? Translating apps is a fun way to contribute.

Promotion

Help get the word out about KDE

Blog about it

Write an article or give a presentation...

Usability

You don't have to be OpenUsability or KDE expert to submit a report

Go step-by-step through a task you often perform or find important in KDE

Provide information on what could be improved to make it easier or more convenient

Please give some reasoning why you think so & avoid flaming

Artwork

Lots of new artwork is coming for KDE4

Experience with vector graphics is particularly helpful

Learn from talented & experienced artists

Bugs

Developers need all the help they can get dealing with bug reports

Coding knowledge is useful, but not necessary

Code

C++ is primary language

However, bindings are available for Python, Ruby, Perl, Java, _javascript_, and C#

Qt & KDElibs are very well documented

Pick a simple app, try to understand it