jadoba on 10 Feb 2007 03:17:39 -0000

[PLUG] "Building Internet Kiosks with Linux and Firefox"

The first beta version of the kiosk is ready for testing. The final
version is not going to be finished very soon. It is available only in
a tarballed VMware image.

Some known issues (these need rectifying):
o User is able to upload any file on the filesystem over the web with
Firefox. I was able to send an email with menu.lst as an attachment,
effectively revealing the md5 hash of the GRUB bootloader password.
o I made no attempt to secure the installation of plugins and did not
test the ability for the user to install them.

Other known issues (these show my utter sloppiness and are easily
fixable):
o Alt-SysRq will probably work.
o Normal user 'user' has weak password.
o No firewall.

For the next beta release I might set this up as a LiveCD based on
either DSL or a trimmed-down version of Knoppix.

More information is available at http://jadoba.net/kiosk/ (which also
has the link for downloading the kiosk.) Email me at jadoba@jadoba.net

Thanks!

James Barrett