Randy Schmidt on 15 Feb 2007 03:40:02 -0000

[PLUG] OpenWRT and covering a large area with wireless

Hi,

Two things that may be somewhat related. I am thinking about playing
with flashing a router with OpenWRT and wanted to know if anybody had
suggestions for hardware. I remember hearing Chris Shank talk about
doing this with some Buffalo routers.

The other thing is I have a friend who has a business where the
warehouse/offices are on her property but separated from her house by
a few hundred feet. Currently she has an Airport wireless router in
the warehouse trying to share the network wirelessly with her
computers in the house. The problem is the signal is extremely weak so
she cannot reliably connect to the network from her house. I was
thinking of either getting a different router that would allow
connecting a more powerful antennae or using a couple of wireless
routers to increase the coverage. One of the issues is I can't put any
hardware in between the house and the warehouse so putting a repeater
in her house may suffer from the same problems as her computer has
now.

Does anybody have any suggestions either way? What kind of hardware
would I be looking for for the former?  Can I do this with two routers
that I have flashed with OpenWRT? Is there a simpler way than I have
asked about?

Thanks,
--
Randy Schmidt