Doug Crompton on 15 Feb 2007 16:03:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OpenWRT and covering a large area with wireless

Not an answer to you question but Amateur radio operators have used high
gain yagi (or other) antennas to go 15-20 miles point to point. Part of
the 2.4 gig band (one or two channels) are actually in shared amateur
radio teritory. We could actually increase power siginificantly. The wrt
mods allow an increase in power but beyond that their are amplifiers.

I am expecting the delivery of my first Buffalo any day to replace an
older linksys that was giving me trouble. I am just using it as a DSL
router though and I will be turning off the wireless features. I have a
stock wrt54 that has worked well here in wireless service. I would like to
experiment with long(er) distance wireless though. The Buffalo looks like
a good choice. They seem to work great with the wrt firmware and they
offer many antennas and repeater choices.

Another problem at 2.4 Gig is interference issues. There is so much crap
running there. I recently changed my home 2.4 Gig wireless phone system to
5.8 Gig. It had been interfering with a wireless video link. The 5.8 Gig
distance sucks though compared to 2.4. I live in a stone house with
some internal stone walls. It has a hard time penetrating.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

Doug

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Randy Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two things that may be somewhat related. I am thinking about playing
> with flashing a router with OpenWRT and wanted to know if anybody had
> suggestions for hardware. I remember hearing Chris Shank talk about
> doing this with some Buffalo routers.
>
> The other thing is I have a friend who has a business where the
> warehouse/offices are on her property but separated from her house by
> a few hundred feet. Currently she has an Airport wireless router in
> the warehouse trying to share the network wirelessly with her
> computers in the house. The problem is the signal is extremely weak so
> she cannot reliably connect to the network from her house. I was
> thinking of either getting a different router that would allow
> connecting a more powerful antennae or using a couple of wireless
> routers to increase the coverage. One of the issues is I can't put any
> hardware in between the house and the warehouse so putting a repeater
> in her house may suffer from the same problems as her computer has
> now.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions either way? What kind of hardware
> would I be looking for for the former?  Can I do this with two routers
> that I have flashed with OpenWRT? Is there a simpler way than I have
> asked about?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Randy Schmidt
> randy@umlatte.com
> www.umlatte.com
> 267.334.6833

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *