Stephen Gran on 18 Feb 2007 02:32:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] The filesystem question...

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 12:39:09PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne said:
> I know this could very well result in outright religious conflict, but I was
> wondering what people had to say about filesystems.

I have only one rule of thumb with filesystems, probably because I am a
simple person.  If I write it to disk, I'd like to be able to read it
back later, and if I'd like to be able to read it back later, I write
it to disk.

There are lots of religious wars about speed, extra functionality, and
so on, but I frankly don't care that much.  The only thing I ask of a
filesystem is that it survives normal failure modes (power cuts and so
on - block device failures are probably asking too much).  I know from
benchmarks that ext3 is 10% slower than XFS on the same hardware with
the same testsuite.  I also know that in my simple minded test, where
all I did was turn off the power supply mid rsync, the ext3 file system
was useful, while the XFS one had a lot of null bits randomly added to
every open file handle.  Resier has even more interesting failure modes.

XFS has failed my reliability test.  I gave up on resier sometime during
v3, when it would randomly fail to understand the difference between
a file and a directory.  I understand that v4 is better, but with the
upstream in search of a good lawyer, I am not confident of it's future.
I know nothing of JFS, except that it's provided by an upstream vendor
and not by the community, which usually implies (to me at least) a
lower overall quality level.  The code at http://jfs.sourceforge.net/
seems to bear this out - several of the comments don't actually seem to
understand what the code is actually doing.  To be fair, the JFS code
in my local kernel tree does look better, although a bit grottier than
most kernel code.  OCFS and GFS look interesting, but are not really
relevant for most normal situations.

So, for now, my instinct is to stick with what has error handling,
and what works again and again.  Sorry to recommend the mundane answer,
but I say go with ext3.
|  Stephen Gran                  | economist, n:  Someone who's good with  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | figures, but doesn't have enough        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | personality to become an accountant.    |