Doug Crompton on 19 Feb 2007 19:10:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

I have DCAnet DSL. I do ALL my own serving/mail etc. It is basically a
pipe to the Internet. $44/month, Static IP (up to 6) and no BS. Has been
basically sound for over three years. Only two extended outages. One was
from the fire in Philly a few years ago and the other was a Verizon
screwup. Yes you still have to have Verizon in the mix.

You should be able to get DCAnet in Abington. While cable might have a
higher (burst) data rate the DSL is steady and reliable. It is also worth
it to not have big brother knocking on your door. I only hope that I can
keep it. FIOS is in my area and lit up. I get constant calls to switch,
which I ignore. The only FIOS I could (possibly) endure is their business
class which has static IP. It is pricey though - around $80/month and I
wouldn't be surprised if it had limitations.

I do VOIP/Asterisk over the DSL and have the minimum Verizon POTS. Local
calls go POTS, anything Verizon charges for goes VOIP.

I really think that users should boycot the big guys and support the
smaller ISP's like DCAnet whenever they can rather then continuing to use
and put up with their crap.

On the Torrents... They are new to me and I am not totally sold on their
value. I have had a dozen or more going and the DL time seems much higher
then if I just downloaded the damn file directly. Of course some of these
may be coming from dialups or some very slow upload source. My data lights
are flashing at a steady pace (like a clock). Is most of this wasted data?
Of course I guess much of it is outgoing also to other peers.

BTW Verizon has a new ad out about the power outage unreliablity of
cable. I have not had cable for years but I would expect they should have
improved that. Verizon touts FIOS (and also copper) as being power outage
resilient. This is true up to a point. The FIOS system requires user power
and the batteries only last about 6 hours. After that you better have an
alternate source or you will have no phone. They also are the
responsiblity of the user. So in 3-4 years when the baterries start to
fail you may find that a power outage results in almost immediately having
no phone service. But then without local power most everything today
(portable phones, voip powered stuff) won't work anyway.

Somehow we have come so far in technology only to find it is totally
useless in an emergency.

Doug

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, jeff wrote:

> as an aside, you need to keep track of your dl totals if you have
> Comcast.  For the full story, check out consumerist.com
>
> I just got bit by the fine folks at Comcast.  They shut off my service
> for the better part of a week, in spite of my return phone calls.  I had
> to traverse several levels and departments, finally winding up in
> Corporate.  It took Corporate all day to get Abuse to return my calls
> and they had to try twice.  Abuse only has voice mail - no incoming lines.
>
> Abuse flagged me as a high downloader.  They won't, however, tell me
> what the baseline is or what the cap is supposed to be.  Just told me to
> drastically reduce my downloading.
>
> I despise Comcast, but they're the only thing going.  No trouble in over
> 7 years of service (til now).  I'd eat glass before ordering Verizon
> DSL.  Verizon could throw itself to the ground and miss (and it would be
> 3 weeks late doing it).
>
> I have a dish for tv but since it's affected by weather, I won't use it
> for net connection.
>
> It looks like `slim pickins' is an understatement.
> Any suggestions out Abington way?
>

> Thanks and beware,
> jeff

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *