Art Alexion on 20 Feb 2007 17:44:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Monday 19 February 2007 14:10, Doug Crompton wrote:
> On the Torrents... They are new to me and I am not totally sold on their
> value. I have had a dozen or more going and the DL time seems much higher
> then if I just downloaded the damn file directly. Of course some of these
> may be coming from dialups or some very slow upload source. My data lights
> are flashing at a steady pace (like a clock). Is most of this wasted data?
> Of course I guess much of it is outgoing also to other peers.

As you suspect, bittorrent is not faster than direct because of peer upload
limitations and because of tracker rules.  The idea is that it distributes
what would be the load on a single server, and allows peers to serve data
that the tracker does not host.

The more torrents you have up, the more likely that each will be slower, even
if you have bandwidth to spare.  Most clients let you tweak this.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @