Art Alexion on 20 Feb 2007 17:35:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Monday 19 February 2007 03:42, jeff wrote:
> I'd eat glass before ordering Verizon
> DSL.  Verizon could throw itself to the ground and miss (and it would be
> 3 weeks late doing it).
>
> I have a dish for tv but since it's affected by weather, I won't use it
> for net connection.
>
> It looks like `slim pickins' is an understatement.
> Any suggestions out Abington way?

No problems with Verizon in 19038 (Glenside/Abington).  Maybe three outages in
three years.  Only one lasted more than an hour or so.

Tech support can be uneven -- great to lousy.  My trick is to call billing and
have them transfer me to support.  I always get good US based support that
way.  Increasingly, direct support calls go to South Asia where the answers
are scripted and unresponsive, but getting transferred to support from
billing has gotten me satisfactory support every time.

The other problem -- which has hurt Verizon, not me -- is that their field
repair are done by the telephone division, and DSL support is handled by the
online division.  Really poor communication between the online techs and the
field linemen.  Things get fixed on Tuesday, and another lineman shows up to
help on Friday.  Annoying if you are the guy who showed up Friday, but no
inconvenience to me.

Lots of torrenting, and never a problem with data limits.

It's a gut thing, not quantitative, but I find phone companies the lesser of
the phone/cable TV twin evils.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @