Douglas Muth on 20 Feb 2007 03:21:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use "Plus Addressing" for advanced email filtering rules

On 2/19/07, TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com> wrote:

Plus addressing is one of the benefits of this limitation. Some mail servers allow a user to append +tag to their email address (joeuser+tag@example.com). The text of tag can be used to apply filtering.

What he said. Back in my Usenet days, I had scripts which would generate unique plussed addresses for me every time I posted. The only downside is that I found myself starting to get the same spam to multiple plussed addresses.

I've since switched to using SpamEx (www.spamex.com) for what they
call "disposable email addresses".  The concept is the same -- as many
unique addresses as you want, but they are all in the format:
abcd-1234@spamex.com, where those first 8 characters are random
alphanumerics.  Add in a web-based interface for managing your
addresses, being able to view a history of emails sent to it, and
being able to turn off addresses that collect spam, and I gladly pay
them $10/year for that.

That's my 3 cents on email address protection. (adjusted for inflation)

-- Doug