Doug Crompton on 20 Feb 2007 00:24:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OpenWRT and covering a large area with wireless

I think I would use it "as is" for a little while and see how it works in
general before reflashing it.

I am also interested for a possible amateur radio use, so keep us
informed.

Doug

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Randy Schmidt wrote:

> So I ordered the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. I have read/heard good things
> about it so I wanted to give it a shot. I heard that it increases the
> range of wireless in general, and if that isn't enough, they sell
> different antennas. I was going to flash it with dd-wrt unless someone
> suggested something else. I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> Here is the product page:
> http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=124&categoryid=28
>
> Randy
>
> On 2/15/07, Will Dyson <will.dyson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/14/07, Randy Schmidt <x@altorg.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Two things that may be somewhat related. I am thinking about playing
> > > with flashing a router with OpenWRT and wanted to know if anybody had
> > > suggestions for hardware. I remember hearing Chris Shank talk about
> > > doing this with some Buffalo routers.
> >
> > http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
> >
> > I like the Buffalo units because:
> >
> > 1) They are cheap
> > 2) The model number on the box clearly identifies the hardware
> > (contrast to Linksys's habit of bumping only the revision number to
> > indicate completely different hardware)
> > 3) Almost all their units are supported anyway :)
> >
> > > The other thing is I have a friend who has a business where the
> > > warehouse/offices are on her property but separated from her house by
> > > a few hundred feet. Currently she has an Airport wireless router in
> > > the warehouse trying to share the network wirelessly with her
> > > computers in the house. The problem is the signal is extremely weak so
> > > she cannot reliably connect to the network from her house. I was
> >
> > This sounds like a perfect application for a directional antenna.
> >
> > OpenWRT also supports increasing the router's Tx power, but this does
> > not help nearly as much as you might think (because it has no effect
> > on Rx sensitivity).
> >
> > --
> > Will Dyson
> > http://www.lucidts.com/
> > Linux/Mac/Win consulting
> >

> --
> Randy Schmidt
> randy@umlatte.com
> www.umlatte.com
> 267.334.6833

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *