Doug Crompton on 22 Feb 2007 05:16:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, jeff wrote:

> Someone just told me his neighborhood has been FIOS-wired for a while
> now, but Verizon won't turn it on or sell it yet.  No ETA.
>
> Yet people here say Verizon is blanketing neighborhoods, trying to sell
> the hell out of this.  Go figure.

I am sure Verizon is overwhelmed and rather than turn everthing on and
have public relations problems they are doing it in a conservative way.

I don't see FIOS as a panacea over Comcast data. BW might be greater and
rates slightly lower but it is still dynamic IP and probable blocked ports
and volume restriction. It should be more reliable but that remains to be
seen.

I called Verizon today to have my DirectTV bill combined with the Verizon
bill. You can do that now even if you did not originally acquire DTV from
Verizon. While she had me on the phone she touted FIOS and the fact that
is is running (TV and all) in my area. I declined and gave her the
technical reasons why. She was probably afraid she asked. I then said that
the only FIOS data package I could possibly use was the business version
(which is about $80/month) but she had no idea about that since that is a
different division.

Just be warned if you sign up for FIOS you have said goodbye to copper. I
doubt you could ever get it back. Therefore you have also said goodbye to
DSL. At that point you have no choice but to buy data service from
Verizon. Since in most cases this would include TV you would not have
comcast, so again your only data choice would be Verizon. As far as I know
there is NO second sourcing of FIOS data and there certainly is no second
sourcing over Comcast.

Once Verizon and Comcast take over the world you will have no other choice
except satelite and that is not cost or performance effective.

Doug