Walt Mankowski on 4 Mar 2007 20:50:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] HOWTO: Find a purpose for Garrison Keillor

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 02:20:39PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> Yes, deniability is the idea behind randomising the disk.  However, the reason
> I'm using this Daemon instead of simply "cat /dev/dsp > /dev/sda" is because
> it doesn't simply write the audio data, just like the kernel's existing
> entropy drivers don't just write network traffic & keyboard input.  The
> daemon measures the difference between the left & right channels (hence the
> need for stereo) and runs the result through various scrambling operations (I
> think SHA-1 is one operation).  The resulting random data stream, while it
> certainly won't be much of a workout for your disk, is a great deal larger
> than what you might get from other sources.  Try it and see.
>
> Of course, what would be much better would be to use a real hardware RNG, but
> unfortunately an FM radio is more in my price range...

I think you misunderstood me.  I wasn't asking why this daemon is
better than /dev/dsp.  I was wondering why you want to use it at all
instead of just using /dev/urandom.

> Well, the actual random data has to come from somewhere, and /dev/random
> blocks unless it actually has entropy to provide.  Most people recommend
> using /dev/urandom which is closer to that approach, but I'm in no hurry.

You'll get some random entropy when you type in the command.
/dev/urandom will use that up and then use the kernel's random number
generator.  I guess I don't understand why you think this radio scheme
is a better approach than that.  The /dev/urandom approach is a lot
simpler and will have exactly the same effect of randomizing the disk.

> > > * What do you have against Prairie Home Companion, anyway?
> My problem is that NPR is IMO the only decent thing on the radio, that is
> unless they're playing Keillor's inane, faux-folk claptrap.  The same applies
> to This American Life too.  I personally couldn't think of a better source of
> random garbage data than either of these shows.

Wow, I think someone isn't getting enough ketchup in his diet... :)

Walt