Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Mar 2007 21:22:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] HOWTO: Find a purpose for Garrison Keillor

On Sunday 04 March 2007 15:50, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> You'll get some random entropy when you type in the command.
> /dev/urandom will use that up and then use the kernel's random number
> generator.  I guess I don't understand why you think this radio scheme
> is a better approach than that.  The /dev/urandom approach is a lot
> simpler and will have exactly the same effect of randomizing the disk.
/dev/urandom is typically used for applications requiring data that "looks
pretty random" (games and such), but for cryptographic purposes (such as
making keys) /dev/random is the only way to get truly random data.
While /dev/urandom is probably "good enough" for this purpose, the effect is
_not_ the same.  That said, /dev/urandom is much easier and probably
adequately secure for most people who need to wipe a disk.

I would normally use /dev/urandom if I were in any kind of hurry.  I figured
that I might as well try this approach not only because the results would be
somewhat better, but also for Sir Edmund Hillary's reason.

I may not be such a fan of ketchup, but I just can't stand rhubarb pie.