John Lavin on 6 Mar 2007 02:21:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] problems delivering e-mail to verizon domain

On Friday 23 February 2007 08:57 pm, John Lavin wrote:
> My first attempt is to generate a SPF for my mailing list and wait for it
> to propogate and see if verizon starts accepting.  If not, I see Steve
> Gran's notes and will step through it, but that will require me to upgrade
> to exim4. Probably a good idea anyway, just don't like being forced into
> it.

I figured it is time to give an update:  we've tried a few things so far,
short of upgrading to exim4 and doing Steve's patches.  I've seen mail go
through now,  so one (or more) of these things have moved us forward.

First, we set the maximum number of messages in one connection to 99 from the
following in the exim config:
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 101

Second, at some point in the past, we commented out smtp_verify:
# grep smtp_verify exim/*
exim/exim.conf:#smtp_verify = true
exim/exim.conf.1:smtp_verify = true

We uncommented it.

Finally, I added a spf record for our domains:
http://www.openspf.org/

One or all of those contributed to verizon letting my mail through, our queue
is still not clean, and an upgrade to exim4 is still planned so more work
needs doing...

Thanks,
-john

--
John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net

 A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. --Ralph Waldo
Emerson