Stephen Gran on 6 Mar 2007 01:49:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Daylight Savings Time

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 07:49:44PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> Call me late to the party, but I just noticed that one of my
> Important Systems (embarassingly out of date in other ways too,
> never mind running out of more than one tower case at the moment...
> you really don't want to know) is done broke for 2k7 US DST standards:
>
> % perl -MPOSIX -e '@now = localtime(time());
> 	print strftime("%c", @now), "\n";'
> Mon Mar  5 19:05:33 2007
> % perl -MPOSIX -e '@now = localtime(time() + 604800);
> 	print strftime("%c", @now), "\n";'
> Mon Mar 12 19:05:35 2007

Just to point out:
$ perl -e 'my $time = localtime(time()); print "$time\n";'
Mon Mar  5 20:44:03 2007

Is much less typing.  localtime() gives the same output as strftime %c
when forced into scalar context.

> You (or, really, I, since presumably the rest of you weren't quite
> so lazy about this... I'm trying to avoid doing this on my 2006
> *taxes*, just for the record) want tzdata2007c.tar.gz.

Damn, sorry about that.  It was current when I checked.

> >   /usr/sbin/zic -d tzgen/right -L tzsource/leapseconds -y tzgen/yearistype.sh tzsource/${zone}
>
> ... EXCEPT FOR THIS TYPO.
>
> That should be "-y tzsource/yearistype.sh". Tab completion's a bitch
> some times, Stephen. ;^>

Oops.  Good catch.

> All the cool kids may just be living by UTC within the
> next decade.)

I've decided to move to the UK and try out this UTC thing half time.

TTYL,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Beauty, brains, availability,           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | personality; pick any two.              |