george on 7 Mar 2007 02:12:18 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Mozilla composer won't save image URL's

I'm getting nowhere with this issue.

Here's a Mozilla/Composer tutorial:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/mozillacomposer2.shtml

Where it says, quite unhelpfully:
"Ensure that the checkbox for "URL is relative to page location" is checked."

Sure.  I'm putting the absolute path to where the image is located
_on_ _the_ server_. Still Composer goes ahead and checks that nasty
little "URL is relative to page location" box.  If I save the file
at this point, my paths all get chopped off.  I have found that I
have to follow a strict routine like a crazy person doing his toilet.
1. Open the previously successfully uploaded webpage for editing. Do
not open a page previously saved on my local hard drive.
2. Edit as needed ...
3. Immediately change the background color to "white" from "transparent"
to which Composer automatically defaults, even after I have previously
set the background color.
4. Immediately right click on each and every image and uncheck the
"URL is relative to page location" box for each image in turn.
5. Change the view to HTML code (i.e., text).
6. Do a "save as" from step 5. Do not save from normal edit mode.

I've just had to do this about five times in a row - somehow, Composer
chooses its own defaults even after I have explicitly made editorial
changes.

See the troublesome page here:
http://www.georgesbasement.com/galootsales/Sale02152007/YankeeBraces.htm
It happens that the images and HTML page are in the same directory
here, but I'm having the problem where that is not the case, and then
all my images are misaddressed as "URL is relative to page location"
when they're not in the same directory on the server as they are on my
local hard drive. I should think that the absolute path should override
the relative path.

Thanks.  I looked at NVu.  Looks like a whole new set of "features"
to learn.

George Langford
george@georgesbasement.com