Mag Gam on 9 Mar 2007 22:33:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Sun March 11...almost here

  • From: "Mag Gam" <magawake@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Sun March 11...almost here
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:33:07 -0500
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

For those who haven't heard. a new updater is available. Apparently, Sun and IBM fked up, and they released a new version of Java DST patch lastnight.

I love working in "IT"!

On 3/8/07, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:23:12AM -0500, Dan Perez wrote:
> We're still patching.  Heck, IBM just released an updated patch for
> Lotus Notes calendars last week...  We still have to patch our RedHat
> 2.1 servers and a couple of applications.

Oh, cheer up. Microsoft still hasn't figured (as in, won't figure)
out a patch for Exchange/Outlook that doesn't involve some (not all,
apparently?) users who scheduled appointments with other people
touching those objects to get the invitees calenders updated.

At least with Notes, if you'd wanted to subject yourself to it, you
could have written your OWN patches for this.

> I definitely expect a few surprises, but I figure the impact will be
> low.

In the financial market (not mentioning any names... neither my
employer nor their vendors/customers), the real unknown is how well
the OTHER guy did. It doesn't matter if all my machines have the
right time if they insisted 10 years ago that they'd transfer files
at 01:15 Eastern daily, and they screwed up. Fault doesn't matter,
it's still business lost.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net