Isaac Bennetch on 20 Mar 2007 12:59:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Networking, "bridge mode", Verizon .... Aaarrrrrggggghhh!

  • From: "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>, eric@lucii.org
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Networking, "bridge mode", Verizon .... Aaarrrrrggggghhh!
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:59:40 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=NKkmMnL5I+fmKsbDVXtJ3MAcqQUX9qwf55Gp4z4hNZClznJ0Kt2vvHloXlMXpSmt7TB3r4nstLeJABd4733FSe4kXICiD/3wEpwNGkd2pDqDl91md8+DGrqFhoEBqDKkb2xJoal87YdivVyUF1EYjBZvxkZ0swQu3Z+nhie5Og4=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hi Eric,

I've got a very simple setup very similar to what you're looking for.
What I have can be boiled down to this:
Westell 2200 running normally by all defaults; serving DHCP (192.168.1.x)
Connected to the WAN port of another router (D-Link DI-614+) having
several wired ports and wireless.
The D-Link WAN port grabs a DHCP address from the Westell, but the
D-Link router serves out it's own DHCP addresses as well
(192.168.2.x). All traffic passes through the D-Link, through the WAN
port, and on to the Westell.

By memory, the only configuration I changed was on the Dlink where I
made it serve 192.168.*2*.x, the default was 192.168.1.x; everything
else defaults to sane configurations. I believe I first configured the
Westell by plugging the computer directly in to it, but this shouldn't
matter and I don't think Verizon cares about matching your MAC
address, so that removes a step or two and makes things easier.

This is a simplification of my install, so I hope I didn't miss
anything. If you have further questions I'll do what I can to help...