K.S. Bhaskar on 21 Mar 2007 01:41:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Educational Languages

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Educational Languages
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:41:10 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=D3CN53xsq4m7FuiWaD5iW1XBIiJ09KoVuJ4djUu9nKmKNvPdicgp377PS7JEi8byECTnOGqo6A76EMNUQ0uavZ4nwWlPBLq3jHRIjoSgPyRZ3S9Sx7aESboAKFFelfOX+EUDG55c0THhZjPfKw4ngFZI4uUxofhwFYi4SBMSXnQ=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 3/20/07, Matthew Rosewarne <mukidohime@case.edu> wrote:
On Tuesday 20 March 2007 17:25, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> I'll gladly answer any questions about it.  Disclosure of interest: I
> manage GT.M, the implementation of MUMPS available under GPL from Source
> Forge.
This language certainly looks powerful, but it doesn't really seem to suit the
goals I'm aiming for.  Pascal already works quite well, but its main problems
are lack of OOP and scarce use, neither of which would appear to be solved
with this language.  Also, databases are quite a bit more advanced than
anything I'd want to see taught in a first-year programming class.  Thanks
for the advice though!

[KSB] I understand your issues. A quick comment, though: although it is referred to as a database within the MUMPS world, what it provides is really a data store (as in associative memory with persistence and sharing). What the world thinks of as a database management system (e.g., indexing) is usually implemented in application code layered on top of MUMPS, such as Fileman.

Do consider the use of live CDs + USB drives for storage, or virtual
machines - they allow students to take their work with them to any
handy PC.

-- Bhaskar