sean finney on 30 Mar 2007 07:18:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] why is /dev/null getting flamozzled?

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 11:16 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> Lately, when I reboot, X won't start because /dev/null has become read-only at
> the user level, specifically crwx-r--r--.

just an idea, or at least an initial direction to look: i tried
disabling udev once only to discover that various devices
like /dev/null, /dev/zero, and /dev/random didn't have their permissions
properly set.

turns out there's a udev rule responsible for setting the proper
ownership/permissions, so you're more or less stuck running udev on
ubuntu (i don't know if it's the same on debian).  so, maybe udev isn't
running, or you somehow lost the file that sets the permissions?

on my system (etch laptop) the file is /etc/udev/permissions.rules.

	sean