Ottey, Daniel William on 16 Apr 2007 13:10:43 -0000

RE: [PLUG] quick and easy distro for virtual machine

Along with VMware player, they also provide VMware Server for free.

http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html

I believe the difference is that VMware player only allows you to run
pre-made VMs (which you can get around by tools such as described by
Toby).  But the Server will allow you to create new VMs very easily.
And VMware server runs on both Linux and Windows hosts.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Toby DiPasquale
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:08 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] quick and easy distro for virtual machine

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 11:51:03AM -0400, lists.plug@mas.ml1.net wrote:
> Now for my question: I'm looking for a distro that will be relatively
> painless to set up on this VM. Distro technology has moved on a lot
> since I was a sysadmin and I don't know anymore how the various
> distros compare as far as ease of configuration is concerned. So I
> solicit the list for recommendations or advice.

I typically go with Ubuntu. Easy installation, the power of APT and its
not yet piggish with disk space if you pare down some of its
installation options (unlike RedHat or SuSE/Novell), which means it fits
well in a virtual disk on your hard drive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

I would also recommend VMware over Parallels. VMware Player is free and
there are many excellent tutorials out there on how to create a
.vmdk/.vmx pair for use with VMware Player. As well, VMware just runs
better than Parallels.

All that above in one place:

http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/11/07/vmware-player-ubuntu-installation.
html