gyoza on 14 May 2007 19:45:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Noisy computer fans

WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. WD stands for water displacing. WD-40 might actually remove whatever lubrication was in there. (Once or twice I used sprays that cause plastic parts to break. One time it was a volume potentiometer.) Still, I know WD-40 will actually, somehow, help, as in your case.

I used to use WD-40 on bike chains. It helps at first because it's wet I guess. heh Now I use a Teflon spray, which is dry lubrication. (Chains like it. Humans might get cancer from it. Who knows?) I also use it on car weather stripping. Not on a fan so far.

Greg Helledy wrote:
>The shuttles have a slightly wonky CPU fan that rattles loose in a year >or two and ceases to be as quiet, although it's still not as loud as a >normal PC.

Last year I bought a graphics card that ended up having a pretty noisy fan. I mentioned this to a guy at a computer shop and he said a shot of WD-40 would work wonders. I was skeptical but put a bit right into the "cup" formed by the fan (where it is attached to the motor shaft) and let it work its way in from there. It was an immediate and dramatic improvement. Only now (about 9 months later) is it starting to get noisy again.

Greg Helledy