Doug Crompton on 23 May 2007 14:57:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Art Alexion wrote:

> And if you are going to use Ubuntu, stick with the LTS (long term support)
> releases.  The current one is 6.06.1.  There are 2 years left on its 3 year
> support cycle.  Releases like 7.04 are set to release every 6 months with the
> newest software and have a much shorter support period.
>
> I have found each release to have some rough edges at first, and on a
> production machine, you will lose some time smoothing them out.  Why do it
> every six months?
> --

> Art Alexion

Well this is true if you want the latest and greatest but my current
system (SUSE 7.3) has been in service for at least 6 years with very
little updating. Certainly not in the last 2 years as it is no longer
update supported. I go with the assumption if it ain't broke don't mess
with it. Especially if it is something you really depend on. This server
runs my day to day activities - phone, email, domain serving, web serving,
home control. It is literally the brains here.

So whatever I put online to replace it will (hopefully) have the same
lifespan and reliability.

Doug