Art Alexion on 23 May 2007 14:44:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 01:59, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 00:48, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > I was also looking at Kubuntu 7.04 as the OS. I have not followed the
> > Linux distributions lately, so I am not sure if this is a good choice. I
> > honestly have never run my current system in anything other than command
> > line mode! I am comfortable not using a windowing system and I have no
> > problem with continuing doing that so a linux flavor that would support
> > dmraid, the core 2 duo (I guess this is an smp kernel?) and no graphics
> > would be fine.
> >
> > I am use to the SUSE 7.3 file structure but I don't expect I would find
> > anything much like that now. I really just want a late, stable linux that
> > has a broad SW base. It is going to be hard enough to switch all this
> > over. That is why I want to get it going BEFORE I have a failure.
>
> While there is a server version of Ubuntu, there's very little reason to
> use it over Debian.    Ubuntu's server version is merely Ubuntu without its
> customised GUI, which is really it's only attraction.

And if you are going to use Ubuntu, stick with the LTS (long term support)
releases.  The current one is 6.06.1.  There are 2 years left on its 3 year
support cycle.  Releases like 7.04 are set to release every 6 months with the
newest software and have a much shorter support period.

I have found each release to have some rough edges at first, and on a
production machine, you will lose some time smoothing them out.  Why do it
every six months?

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @