sean finney on 23 May 2007 15:39:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 14:39, Alex Launi wrote:
> Despite all of the Debian elitists on the plug mailing list I'm going to

careful that you don't confuse elitism with evangelism with simply informed
opinions.  i think much (not all) of the reputation for debian as being
populated elitists is ill-deserved.

> put a good word in for Ubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't have the reputation Debian
> has on the server, but that does not mean it's not a rock solid server
> platform. I've been working with Ubuntu server for about a year and it's
> rock solid, I have never seen it go down. Obviously this stability is

i'll say that i've run dapper/LTS on a few servers and it's pretty good, about
on par with sarge though with a newer kernel so the hardware support is a bit
better.  anyone running edgy/feisty would probably be better off installing
etch and grabbing what they want from testing/unstable until the next stable
release.

> it. Advantages of Debian vs. Ubuntu? Other than you get to be an elitist
> bastard, not many. They're both good choices really.

 there are pros and cons to each distro, and yes, the differences aren't so
big when compared against the other linux distros out there.  from an
administration standpoint there's little or no difference at all.   most of
the differences have to do with release strategies, and overall project
philosophy.

 with the ubuntu "point releases" like feisty you get newer shinier toys, but
you'll need to upgrade your system every few months. and the intra-ubuntu
upgrades are considerably bumpier than the debian upgrades.  so for
laptop/workstation/testing environments, it's not so bad to have to
completely reinstall every now and then.  plus the laptop/desktop support in
general is the best i've seen, period.

with debian the stable releases are less often than the ubuntu point releases,
but still more frequent than the "long term support" stable releases like
dapper.  since ubuntu hasn't finished a whole stable release cycle under this
new system i don't think it's fair to make a judgement for good or for bad,
but my impression is towards the end of the lifetime of the cycle more people
will opt for a newer release from debian, or one of the ubuntu point releases
(which i'll repeat i think is an unwise choice for any kind of serious server
usage).

but then there's the philosophical side of things...

	sean