sean finney on 23 May 2007 15:47:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 14:55, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Debian, with all their install options, is a pain to me.  What kind of

what if you were installing on a system without a cd drive?  without a console
at all?  the reason the different options exist is because somebody at some
time needed them.

if you feel like you're caught in the barry schwartz paradox of choice, think
of it like going into a tool store to get something to fix up your house.
sure, there's a lot of tools and it might be overwhelming.  but  if you don't
know what you want you can always ask the guy behind the counter :)

> disc should I burn?  How much more will I need to download?  At least
> with Kubuntu I seem to have most of what I need on once simple disc.
> AND it has worked well for me.  But I really don't care what is being
> used as long as it works and makes people happy.  heh

i *think* that an entire base desktop install for debian can be found on the
1st of the "big image" cd's, but i haven't done that since sarge came out.  i
do know they have a well-honed system for choosing what packages go on what
disks, based on usage statistics.  but in most cases, download the netinst
cd, burning it onto a cdrw, and installing from that is still better i'd say.

	sean