Brian Stempin on 23 May 2007 13:33:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Mother board/ Linux OS suggestions
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:33:01 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

When downloading (K/X)Ubuntu, I typically download the "Server" and "Alternative" CDs.  I do this because I don't want to boot a live CD if I want to install the OS.  Both have a console-based installer, which keeps install time down.

When installing from the "Server" CD, I find that just about everything I need is on the CD.  If I want a GUI, I have to run "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop", which ends up downloading a couple of hundred (~200 if I recall) MB from the internet.  I also find that the first patching takes quite a bit of bandwidth, mainly because it involves downloading a new kernel (~30MB).

The "Alternative" CD, OTOH, I use for desktop installations.  To be honest, I don't fully understand the difference between the 2 distros, other than a different mix of software on the CD and a couple of kernel changes.