George A. Theall on 12 Jun 2007 18:42:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Determining the underlying distro

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:06:11PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

>    We currently have an extensive automated regression test suite that runs
>    on multiple Linux distros, including RH, straight Debian, and [K]ubuntu,
>    with SuSE to follow shortly.  Is there an easy way to check what the
>    underlying Linux distribution is?

The way I've seen is to look for tell-tale files in /etc:

  /etc/redhat-release (RedHat / Centos / Fedora, check file contents)
  /etc/SuSE-release (SuSE)
  /etc/gentoo-release (Gentoo)
  /etc/lsb-release (check DISTRIB_ID, but probably Ubuntu)
  /etc/debian_version (Debian)
  /etc/slackware-version (Slackware)

George
--