sean finney on 12 Jun 2007 18:47:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Determining the underlying distro

heya,

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 19:06:11 K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> We currently have an extensive automated regression test suite that runs on
> multiple Linux distros, including RH, straight Debian, and [K]ubuntu, with
> SuSE to follow shortly.  Is there an easy way to check what the underlying
> Linux distribution is?  I suppose when installing the OS, we could create a
> /etc/distro, but that seems so... well I am not sure what the word is,
> maybe "uncool".

one of the things the LSB was supposed to solve is problems like this.
however, like pretty much the rest of the LSB specs, it never really got
adopted by many, and by others the implementations are only partial. for
example, on debian (and ubuntu i suppose), you can do:

rangda[/home/sean] :) lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        4.0r0
Codename:       etch

(see lsb_release --help for more information).  of course, even this
information is kinda suspect, since it came from my testing/unstable box...

	sean