Matthew Rosewarne on 14 Jun 2007 02:56:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Questions on LVM raid...

On Wednesday 13 June 2007, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I had planned on /boot being outside of lvm in it's own partition.

If you want to run RAID, LVM, etc, this is necessary.

> So I would make two primary partitions - /boot and the container for lvm ?
>
> The rest of the filesystems would be in lvm
>
> Should swap be in lvm?

Yes, there's no real difference in performance.

> Then I would make two raid 1 partitions - md0 for /boot an md1 for lvm.
>
> Is this a proper? good? method.

Works well enough for me.

> Another question I have is filesystems. Suse defaults to ext3, with a note
> that it is more reliable I believe. I am sure there are many differing
> opinions on this. I have been using ext3 in my old server without
> problems for years. It seems reiserfs is often used. Any thoughts?

I use ext3 on my backup server, but everywhere else I use a more "modern"
filesystem.  Usually XFS on desktops & servers for the performance, and JFS
on latops for its low CPU usage.  I used to use reiserfs, but development on
v3 has stopped, and the future of v4 is highly uncertain.