Doug Crompton on 14 Jun 2007 02:23:01 -0000

[PLUG] Questions on LVM raid...

Ok I am brining up my new system and I want to run LVM and raid 1 but I am
not clear on some things....

I will have the following partitions -

/, /boot, /usr, /home, /var, and swap.

I have read the raid how-to and the lvm howto but neither seems to give
good combination examples or explanations of the subject.

Some questions...

I had planned on /boot being outside of lvm in it's own partition.

So I would make two primary partitions - /boot and the container for lvm ?

The rest of the filesystems would be in lvm

Should swap be in lvm?

Then I would make two raid 1 partitions - md0 for /boot an md1 for lvm.

Is this a proper? good? method.

Another question I have is filesystems. Suse defaults to ext3, with a note
that it is more reliable I believe. I am sure there are many differing
opinions on this. I have been using ext3 in my old server without
problems for years. It seems reiserfs is often used. Any thoughts?

In the above scenerio, assuming it is correct, I assume that the only
formatting to fs that is done is when lvm is created?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *