James Barrett on 15 Jun 2007 18:54:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

Doug Crompton wrote:
I have my core 2 duo system up and running but how do I know I am
actually utilizing the full capability?

If your kernel is recent, it will determine SMP at boot time. I believe this change happened at around 2.6.18?

As for getting the 'full capability', it is running slower than it should (around 1600Mhz instead of the full 1860mhz...) - perhaps you have some funky speedstep magic going on there.

From this list,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors
it seems your processor can support a 64bit OS. In that case, you might find a very slight performance boost if you chose an AMD64 kernel. Of course, I would suggest you determine whether it would be worth it or not first (for instance, it might prove difficult to get a flash player plugin working on a 64bit system, among other things).