Matthew Rosewarne on 15 Jun 2007 19:26:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

On Friday 15 June 2007, James Barrett wrote:
> If your kernel is recent, it will determine SMP at boot time. I believe
> this change happened at around 2.6.18?

Actually, this is a Debian thing.  They used to have a choice between
SMP-enabled and non-SMB-enabled kernels, but decided to drop the
non-SMP-enabled kernels.  There's supposed to be some kind of minor (probably
negligible) performance cost on non-SMP systems, but not enough to make it
worth an extra package.

> As for getting the 'full capability', it is running slower than it
> should (around 1600Mhz instead of the full 1860mhz...) - perhaps you
> have some funky speedstep magic going on there.

The CPU is probably using its power management to save power while idling.
You can check if the CPU clock-scaling drivers are loaded by looking for the
cpufreq modules with lsmod.  If your system _isn't_ cleverly scaling your CPU
down to save power, it could in fact be the CPU clocking itself down because
it's too hot.  If you need to check the temperature of your CPU, use
lm-sensors.