Doug Crompton on 15 Jun 2007 22:46:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:

> The CPU is probably using its power management to save power while idling.
> You can check if the CPU clock-scaling drivers are loaded by looking for the
> cpufreq modules with lsmod.  If your system _isn't_ cleverly scaling your CPU
> down to save power, it could in fact be the CPU clocking itself down because
> it's too hot.  If you need to check the temperature of your CPU, use
> lm-sensors.

This thing runs darn cool and uses a lot less power, at least compared to
P4 3.xG chips.

Are these the modules you were referring to?

cpufreq_conservative    11912  0
cpufreq_ondemand       10892  2
cpufreq_userspace       9088  0
cpufreq_powersave       5888  0
speedstep_centrino     12832  1
freq_table              8832  1 speedstep_centrino

How can I confirm I am using an SMP kernel? Does that fact that it
recognizes the core 2 duo mean I am?

Doug