Matthew Rosewarne on 15 Jun 2007 23:22:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

On Friday 15 June 2007, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Are these the modules you were referring to?
>
> cpufreq_conservative    11912  0
> cpufreq_ondemand       10892  2
> cpufreq_userspace       9088  0
> cpufreq_powersave       5888  0
> speedstep_centrino     12832  1
> freq_table              8832  1 speedstep_centrino

Yes, those are responsible for controlling the CPU's clock speed.  It seems
the "on demand" policy (called a "governor") is being used, which dynamically
sets the clock speed to whatever is necessary to run the current load, thus
saving power when the system isn't very busy.  If you want to change how the
CPU's clock speed is controlled, use cpufrequtils.

> How can I confirm I am using an SMP kernel? Does that fact that it
> recognizes the core 2 duo mean I am?

Debian uses SMP kernels by default, hence the presence of two detected CPUs (2
cores are effectively 2 CPUs) .  You won't be running a non-SMP kernel unless
you build it yourself.