Antony P Joseph on 16 Jun 2007 00:22:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

Hi

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 19:22 -0400, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > Are these the modules you were referring to?
> >
> > cpufreq_conservative    11912  0
> > cpufreq_ondemand       10892  2
> > cpufreq_userspace       9088  0
> > cpufreq_powersave       5888  0
> > speedstep_centrino     12832  1
> > freq_table              8832  1 speedstep_centrino
>
> Yes, those are responsible for controlling the CPU's clock speed.  It seems
> the "on demand" policy (called a "governor") is being used, which dynamically
> sets the clock speed to whatever is necessary to run the current load, thus
> saving power when the system isn't very busy.  If you want to change how the
> CPU's clock speed is controlled, use cpufrequtils.

Are we talking about a server or a laptop ?
If it is a server, why should I decrease the clock rate there by
seriously affecting the response time of my applications. I do not think
power is a serious issue in case of servers.

It looks like to me that it is some kind of mobile or laptop feature,

With regards
Antony