Matthew Rosewarne on 16 Jun 2007 00:48:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

On Friday 15 June 2007, Antony P Joseph wrote:
> Are we talking about a server or a laptop ?
> If it is a server, why should I decrease the clock rate there by
> seriously affecting the response time of my applications. I do not think
> power is a serious issue in case of servers.
>
> It looks like to me that it is some kind of mobile or laptop feature,

Actually, there has recently been a massive effort to use technologies such as
this to allow servers to use considerably less power.  Not only is it better
for the environment, but it can save a significant amount on the electricity
bill.  Clearly, a great many people do indeed think that power is a serious
issue for servers.  As for response time, the whole idea is to give the CPU
exactly what it needs exactly when it needs it, and will not cause any
performance penalty whatsoever.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to
disable this feature, and plenty of reasons not to.