Antony P Joseph on 16 Jun 2007 01:14:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

Hi

Fri, 2007-06-15 at 20:48 -0400, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007, Antony P Joseph wrote:
> > Are we talking about a server or a laptop ?
> > If it is a server, why should I decrease the clock rate there by
> > seriously affecting the response time of my applications. I do not think
> > power is a serious issue in case of servers.
> >
> > It looks like to me that it is some kind of mobile or laptop feature,
>
> Actually, there has recently been a massive effort to use technologies such as
> this to allow servers to use considerably less power.  Not only is it better
> for the environment, but it can save a significant amount on the electricity
> bill.  Clearly, a great many people do indeed think that power is a serious
> issue for servers.  As for response time, the whole idea is to give the CPU
> exactly what it needs exactly when it needs it, and will not cause any
> performance penalty whatsoever.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to
> disable this feature, and plenty of reasons not to.

>freq_table              8832  1 speedstep_centrino

I saw centrino in the list. That is why I thought that it is a mobile
feature.

I agree completely with you if your applications are designed for
horizontal scaling(add more machines) . In that case you may end with
lots of machines making power a serious issue.

If your applications are designed for vertical scaling(add more memory
and more CPU processing power), I do not think we have to use this
feature.

With regards
Antony