Doug Crompton on 17 Jun 2007 16:29:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Use of dual core

Regardless of this argument I would say that most of us should be using
some kind of speed management to reduce power consumption. It seems
fruitless when you consider only your system but think of that multiplied
by millions of computers and it really does make a differnece. Megawatts
of power acutally!

Doug

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Antony P Joseph wrote:

> Hi
>
> > Well, regardless of whether it's a hack or not, it does work and is a far
> > better approach than leaving the processor running at full speed even when it
> > isn't doing anything, which is why all modern CPUs do it.  Seriously, did I
> > not make it clear that there _isn't_ a performance hit already?  I don't wish
> > to be rude, but if you reply to someones message, do give them the bare
> > minimum courtesy by at least reading it first.
> Probably this is due to the different understanding of the word
> "performance" in computer industry. Different people interpret the word
> different ways such as latency, response time, even throughput and so
> on. This is what I used.
>
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/tutorials/alliance98/slides/tutorial/sld004.htm
>
> Performance suffers because there is a mechanism( an algorithm) involved
> in determining the ideal frequency of the CPU(that itself may not be
> guaranteed ideal frequency). If you plot a graph performance vs
> throughput for a fixed amount of power consumption for different
> governors, "powersave" will be highest throughput and smallest
> performance , "performance" will be highest performance and smallest
> throughput and "ondemand" may move along a curve between "performance"
> and "powersave" depending on the algorithm used and characteristics of
> the workload.
>
> With regards
> Antony

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *