Adam J. Zion on 19 Jun 2007 00:51:55 -0000

[PLUG] Odd networking error

OK, I'm having an odd problem w/my linux workstation hobbes. Hobbes can communicate w/SAMBA shares on other PCs- especially the linux server calvin- w/o a problem. However, it's not playing nicely as a server itself. To wit...

* I can't assign a static IP address, even though I'm 100% sure that all the information is correct. When I allow it to get an IP via DHCP, it plays nicely as a client- Web, news, etc.
* I can't ping it, either by NetBIOS name or IP
* I can't connect to any SAMBA shares on it

Thoughts? I doubt it's a SAMBA-specific issue, since hobbes isn't responding to ping requests.

-Z

Adam Zion, MCSE+I

Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment they start waving guns about? * Doctor Who