Ottey, Daniel William on 19 Jun 2007 12:23:21 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Odd networking error

Do you have firewall software on Hobbes that could be stopping pings and
samba requests from coming in properly?

And about assigning static IP address - are you configuring all
appropriate settings?  Not just IP address, but also netmask and gateway
settings?

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Adam J. Zion
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 8:52 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Odd networking error

OK, I'm having an odd problem w/my linux workstation hobbes. Hobbes can
communicate w/SAMBA shares on other PCs- especially the linux server
calvin- w/o a problem. However, it's not playing nicely as a server
itself. To wit...

* I can't assign a static IP address, even though I'm 100% sure that all
the information is correct. When I allow it to get an IP via DHCP, it
plays nicely as a client- Web, news, etc.
* I can't ping it, either by NetBIOS name or IP
* I can't connect to any SAMBA shares on it

Thoughts? I doubt it's a SAMBA-specific issue, since hobbes isn't
responding to ping requests.

-Z

Adam Zion, MCSE+I

Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply
the moment they start waving guns about? * Doctor Who