Doug Crompton on 19 Jun 2007 03:01:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] NFS question

I understand your concern with security but I am on a private network that
is firewalled from the internet. No ports other than what I allow go
anywhere else and it is locked down. My level of paranoia is a notch below
most on this group. On a commercial environment it is certainly a
completely different story.

Doug

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:

> It is an overwhelmingly bad idea to use NFS nowadays.  The protocol is so
> inherently insecure that using it is tantamount to leaving your screen door
> unlocked in Mogadishu.  If you want to copy the odd file between machines,
> it's a much better idea to use shfs (kernel module) or sshfs (FUSE), which
> let you mount a remote directory via SSH.  Otherwise, the only reasonable
> ways to run NFS are by running it over IPSEC or by tunnelling it through SSH.
> Using shfs/sshfs is far easier and just as secure.
>
> %!PS: Is the another way to access your files besides using root?  The
> security of using another account, possibly with ACLs, is entirely worth it.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *