Doug Crompton on 19 Jun 2007 03:27:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] UPS choice

Looks good. A refurb'ed smart 700 is around $90 compared to around $350
new. I send them an email asking if the USV cable came with it or if not
wether it is a dtandard cable.

Doug

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, JP Vossen wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:45:12 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com>
> > Subject: [PLUG] UPS choice
> > To: Phila Linux Users Group <PLUG@lists.phillylinux.org>
> >
> > I need to put a UPS on my new system. I have purchased APC smart 700's in
> > the past. They were serial interface. Since my new system does not have a
> > native serial interface I thought I would get a new smart 700 with USB
> > interface. Anyonw running the older APC's with a USB to serial converter
> > or an APC with USB interface?
>
> This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's relevant.  I've
> bought my last few UPSs from http://www.refurbups.com/ and have been
> *very* happy.  They ship very quickly, pack very well and are much
> cheaper than new units (they do have new batteries).  I am affiliated
> with them only as a happy customer for a few years...
>
> Later,
> JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|        jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> ----------------------------|=========|-------------------------------
> Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
> Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
> and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
> has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *