Brian Stempin on 19 Jun 2007 14:54:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] re: odd networking issue

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] re: odd networking issue
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:54:07 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Adam,
     My understanding is that Shorewall is used to configure Netfilter (ie, iptables).  Thus, if you "turn off" Shorewall, the kernel's iptables are still set up to perform routing/firewall functions.  I would recommend flushing your iptables by running the following:

sudo iptables --flush

This will clear all routing/firewalling changes that Shorewall (and for the record, anything else such as Firestarter, etc) has made to your system.

HTH,
     Brian

On 6/19/07, Adam J. Zion <azion1995@verizon.net> wrote:
>Do you have firewall software on Hobbes that
>could be stopping pings and samba requests
>from coming in properly?

I see precisely the same behavior whether shorewall is running or not.

>And about assigning static IP address - are
>you configuring all appropriate settings?

Ja- 100% sure about that one.

Adam Zion, MCSE+I

Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment they start waving guns about? * Doctor Who