Carl Gustafson on 24 Jun 2007 13:12:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] executable access

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 01:53:22AM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:

> I should know this but at the moment it slips me... how do I allow access
> to binary files, scripts, etc. in the user directory without having to
> specify ./xxxxx  ???

It sounds like you want to be able to run executables that are located in the current working directory without having to
specify that directory (ie. you want to type myapp instead of ./myapp). If this is the case, the way it is done is to add
the current working directory to your PATH variable. HOWEVER, this is generally (and for good reason) considered to be a BAD
IDEA for security purposes - it allows a malicious user to sneak an executable into your own directory that would supplant
an otherwise "safe" binary from, say /usr/bin. This is why . (the current working directory) is NOT in the PATH by default.

Anyway, if you really want to live dangerously, the use of the PATH variable has been described in another reply.
In this case, I'd put the . directory at the end of the path, so any other executable would be found first, in case some wise-acre has put a
script in your working directory that gets up to some monkey-business, like having the effect of replacing the cd command
with the rm command. Easily done, and you wouldn't know until it's too late.

Carl "the untrusting one" Gustafson