Art Alexion on 25 Jun 2007 02:27:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] executable access

On Sunday, 24 June 2007 09:13, Carl Gustafson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 01:53:22AM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > I should know this but at the moment it slips me... how do I allow access
> > to binary files, scripts, etc. in the user directory without having to
> > specify ./xxxxx  ???
>
> It sounds like you want to be able to run executables that are located in
> the current working directory without having to specify that directory (ie.
> you want to type myapp instead of ./myapp). If this is the case, the way it
> is done is to add the current working directory to your PATH variable.
> HOWEVER, this is generally (and for good reason) considered to be a BAD
> IDEA for security purposes - it allows a malicious user to sneak an
> executable into your own directory that would supplant an otherwise "safe"
> binary from, say /usr/bin. This is why . (the current working directory) is
> NOT in the PATH by default.

I've made it a habit, scripts in progress go in ~/bin (not in my PATH); Once
I'm satisfied with them, I copy them to /usr/local/bin.  I understand what
you are saying about "sole user, not a security problem", but its just easy
to do and a good habit to get into.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @