Morgan Jones on 28 Jun 2007 17:16:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux cheap printer

Ron,

I've seen too many inkjet printers die after a year or so of use.. I recently gave up on my Epson inkjet and bought a Samsung SCX4200 Laser printer/scanner/copier for $150 from Amazon. I'd give the Linux support a 7/10. The Samsung drivers are a bit messy but do work. I have more luck with printing than scanning. The text quality is great, the photo quality is what you'd expect from an inexpensive b&w laser printer.

Samsung does make a $126 (Staples price) laser (no scanner) that I believe supports Linux.

Epson and HP inkjets are generally well supported. Canons seem to be bricks. linuxprinting.org is a good resource for printer compatibility.

-morgan

Ron Kaye Jr wrote:
gotta start using my Fedora Core 5 box
as my primary machine.
(have to be weened off of XP)

on my way to IETPA in Lansdowne
to pick up a cheap inkjet. (have a bunch of torched Lexmarks)
clearly, i want the new printer
to work with FC5 etc.
i am guessing that Linux has progressed
to a point, where just about any printer will be recognized/drivers installed.

Please advise.

Ron Kaye