Stephen Gran on 9 Jul 2007 23:18:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] trivia help

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:15:34PM -0400, Rich Stevens said:
> I was reading djb's 2004 MCS 494 final exam (
> http://cr.yp.to/2004-494/1209.pdf). Problem 2, 5, and 7 really have me going
> (because i think i understand these scenarios)
>
> "The System administrator arranges for the commands
> print-new-configs > /tmp/new-configs
> [ -s /tmp/new-configs ] && ( mail root < /tmp/new-configs )
> rm /tmp/new-configs
> to be run every night.  A local user 'joe' creates and runs
> gcc -o evil evil.c
> ./evil
> after which the system administrator's commands corrupt /etc/passwd.  What
> were the contents of evil.c?"
> Any Ideas?  Try to only give small hints so that the less gifted of us still
> have a chance.

This is at first glance a classic symlink attack (although why joe
needs to write a c program to do it seems a little odd).
|  Stephen Gran                  | <dhd> perl < /dev/bdsm <knghtbrd> you   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | have a /dev/bdsm? <dhd> sure, it's a    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | pseudosadomasochistic random number     |
|                                | generator                               |