JP Vossen on 10 Jul 2007 16:03:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rpm -Va using apt = debsums

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:24:15 -0400
From: Antony P Joseph <antony@panathara.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] rpm -Va using apt = debsums
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List

> tripwire
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire/

I knew I would forget to mention something...

The problem with Tripwire, integrit, AIDE, Osiris, Samhain, [1] etc. is that you must do a baseline *before* you can verify. The advantage of using the packaging system is that that already contains a "baseline." The disadvantage is that it wasn't really meant to do integrity checking and is not cryptographically secure, etc. But it's better than nothing, it can be used with no prior preparation (as when you get that phone call from a friend, "Hey, something odd happened..."), and it may be useful if used as an additional *layer* of security.

Thanks,
JP

[1] All of these are in the Debian Etch repo:
http://www.tripwiresecurity.com/
http://integrit.sourceforge.net/
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html
http://osiris.shmoo.com/
http://la-samhna.de/samhain/index.html
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.