JP Vossen on 11 Jul 2007 18:37:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rpm -Va using apt = debsums

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:52:02 -0400
From: Antony P Joseph <antony@panathara.org>

 > tripwire
 > http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire/

[rpm -Va are debsums are] not cryptographically secure, etc.
>> But it's better than nothing,
it can be used with no prior preparation (as when you get that phone call from a friend, "Hey, something odd happened..."), and it may be useful if used as an additional *layer* of security.

The advantages I can see for Tripwire like software are it can include
any files including modified configuration files which will be obviously
flagged by debsums or rpm -Va.

I haven't looked into debsums enough to know, but that's not quite true for rpm -Va. It has a number of options so you can ignore certain things, and changes to config files (which are flagged as such in the packaging system) may be ignored. Obviously, ignoring is not the same as verifying, so you've got me there, but you can at least eliminate some known noise.

> You can take security data in a USB drive
or another system so compromising the system does not affect the
separately saved security data.

True. But again, my point is that you have to have done all of this ahead of time. *We* in this group may do that. I absolutely guarantee that your typical home or small business user--even the above average ones smart enough to be using Linux, esp. Debian--haven't done it. (They don't have good backups either, but that's another thread.) So when they call you up with a problem, then what? (Yes, I know the only *correct* answer is to rebuild from scratch and restore data backups. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't always work like that.)

But anyway, ideally this is just another layer, not to be depended on.

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.